11.21.2007

day before thanksgiving post


i've sat down several times over the last two weeks to concoct a post for you all to read. but each time it goes little further than a few trite lines. the reality is life here is life anywhere. i get up, i eat, i study tibetan and chinese, i conduct research, and i see friends. life. to me it seems unextraordinary. so i don't post. but the truth is that life is really worth telling about. but life is not real life unless it is lived, and life lived only exists when the catalyst is the revelation and following of the Savior.

thus, life is good! and those of you that really know me know how i like to live this life, on the move, perhaps afraid of settling for too long in one place. i like newness, change, adventure, fresh pictures for my mind's eye. that is what i am about to get too. this coming saturday--but not before celebrating what happens to be my favorite holiday, thanksgiving--i will leave moleville for a time and half, making my way through three continent going from and to, europe, north america and then back to asia. till today i had not really accepted that i was traveling again. but not because i did not want to. it just did not feel close, or real yet. perhaps tangible is the best way to say it. moleville is my tangible reality now, and leaving it even for two months took sometime to set back in. just like when you read of strikes in france or hear about a cyclone in bangladesh it seems surreal. today, however, something struck me. 'i'll be in london in 9 days,' i thought. then i realized hong kong and macau were before that. then i got excited and ready. the tangibility of my return stateside came to me, and gave me comfort. friends. family. pumpkin pies with whipped cream. my mom's king ranch chicken. grandma's house for christmas. texas bar-b-que. late night conversations with my brother. warmer weather. a game of pool with my dad over a drink. and a culture that understands me.

but back to my original point. this life is meant to be lived in communion with the divine. and so, i can not wait to tell you all of my stories of doing so. my feelings of loneliness wane in the face of being known by Him. He travels with me, He eats and dances with me (most of you already knew that i love to dance), and most of all He inhabits me, never leaving me to view a wonderful himalayan sunrise or beautiful tibetan face alone. so, that is the life i live. one with the eternal Spirit within me, making all things new.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

but the truth is that life is really worth telling about. but life is not real life unless it is lived, and life lived only exists when the catalyst is the revelation and following of the Savior.

Ryan,
My name is Kevin. I live in Flagstaff and know your Mom from the thrift store. She gave me your blog a while back and try and check it out once in a while. I was especially inspired by the ending of the first paragraph in this post and I relate to it so much. If you don`t mind, I would like to copy it to my collection of all-time great quotes. Take care, be safe and be blessed!

wolfinaz@excite.com

Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew said...

awesome post! sounds great!

are you and anthropologist?

God bless


- drew

Kari - adresse verden said...

yeah, awesome post! And I love your blog, just came across it by coincidence.You're a good writer:)