12.14.2007

FLG

ponderosa pines in flagstaff


view of the valley below snow bowl ski resort


snow bowl ski resort from below



i recently returned to the states for a few weeks of holiday joy and mystief. my first stop, flagstaff, arizona. the home of my mother, and a sort of surrogate home for myself. it is so much like austin that i feel at home there.

my mother had been telling me for a few weeks that the weather was mild, and sunny. so, what happens the day i arrive? a series of snow storms that cover the town in snow with feet of new powder. it was quite nice actually. i live in a very cold place, but it's a very dry place. we might get a few inches every month or so, but never an accumulation. the only place the snow stays is up on the himalayan peaks, where it never disappears. for me, snow is the reward for cold weather. that is other than being able to wear 'cooler' clothes; you know, layering and sweaters and scarfs and beanies.

it was a winter wonderland for sure. like i have said before, there something so tranquil and beautiful about cold weather. and snow adds an extra element to it.

No comments: