3.22.2008

ever had a piece of meat stuck in your eye?

you're not going to believe me, but i have. today i was eating noodles for lunch, and you know how noodles can fling about while being slurped into the mouth. well, one such noodle flipped a little piece of meat up into my eye--meat with spices on it. straight past my always in place safety goggles and directly onto my eyeball! man did that sting. it took about 2 minutes to get it out and even longer to be able to open my eye without it stinging badly.

so imagine all this and some 40+ year old chinese guy sitting at the table beside me watching the whole thing. i swear--although i could only see with one eye--that his facial expression did not change one bit. it was like he'd seen it all before; no need to react. par for the course. usually if they give much reaction at all its to gawk. but this guy just sat there, ignoring his own plate of noodles watching tears well in my eye, rubbing it and trying to find this little piece of rouge meat.
and finally when i did i am sure i looked like half a druggie, with one eye bloodshot and red all around.

just another day in china. well, that and i have not had a shower in 3 days, not been able to flush my toilet, thanks to no water in this part of the city. fun.

2 comments:

barb said...

Tony also has a red eye - thought it was an eye infection - perhaps not. Hope you are seeing clearly now - good hearing from you.

Auntie

caris said...

That's totally happened to me, sans meat (vegetarian you know ;) with spicy, Sichuan noodle juice. Ouch! Hope you enjoyed the meal regardless. What I would give for a bowl of Chinese noodles right now! Cheers!