1.07.2009

dalit


as some of you know i have been doing a lot of thinking and meditating on issues of poverty, (in)justice, inequality, and my responsibility in engaging such issues. well, all this reminded me of an experience had a few weeks ago.

while wandering the back lanes of a small indian town, orchha, i met a middle aged man that started walking beside me as i strolled along. in india this can mean two things; either the person is genuinely friendly or they want to ask you for money after they have 'guided' you around. this man was genuinely friendly. i was just walking around watching people, taking photos of children and trying to converse with people. he was my silent companion. after a while of walking i asked, via hand signals, whether i could take his picture. he smiled and shook his head yes. i then snapped a photo of him standing in front a washing line and thanked him. in return he bowed to me and touched my feet and then his chest. not wanting him to think he was below me, as his gesture indicated, i bowed and did the same. this startled him and he began motioning to me like he was eating and then pointed at me and shook his head no. i realized then that he was an 'untouchable'. for the indians these people are the lowest of all people and if you touch them you must be ritually cleaned in order to eat again. as i realized his meaning i shook my head and said it's okay and i reached out and touched his shoulder. in retrospect i don't know if my attempt to treat him as a normal human worthy of touching was right, because his face never showed me a smile, just strait lips hiding discomfort.

now i think back and wonder if i am the only person beyond his family that has ever touched him. if so, then i am glad of my gesture, culturally inappropriate or not. almost daily, as i read of caste violence in india, i find anger rise up in me at the idea that someone is outside social bounds to the extent that they are impure or polluting. my heart rises up against that. my heart was to communicate brotherly love to that man, to let him know that he is human and worth knowing, touching. i think if Jesus had lived in india he would have spoken of the untouchables, the dalits, instead of the lepers. i think these people occupy a large potion of God's heart. and therefore, they should occupy mine. that is what i am working on, giving my heart to the emotions and desires of the Father, so that the people of the world can encounter Him. often i fail. but i continue to try.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are you?
I regularly visit your blog.
Keep on challenging!

Mariana Mendoza said...

I can´t understand what you write, but the photography is brilliant.

Saludos (regards) from Argentina

Sara

phishtopher said...

thanks for the comments. really appreciated.

Sione Prado said...

Menino!!! Porque parou de escrever tão belas experiências como essa que acabei de ler??? Que coisa boa foi ler esse texto e como me fez bem e poder ser mais humana. Volte correndo para o seu trabalho de escritor para enriquecer cada vez mais as nossas vidas!!!
Abração!!!
Simone

Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog and I'm really looking forward to following you or foloowing your blog I should say :) Haven't had a chance to read much yet, but I'll find some time tonight. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year!

Katie
http://mylifeonesliceatatime.blogspot.com/

Chase said...

I just stumbled across you blog. It makes me proud as a human to see another person standing up for basic rights by defying longstanding societal injustices. I hope you continue to question and defy those constructs which enable the oppression and dehumanization of others. Stay safe.

Chase

Anonymous said...

I saw some very interesting posts here. You are very enthusiastic about blogging. I started blogging sometime ago. I look forward to a very nice blogging experience here. It was a pleasure to meet you. I’ll follow you now. Bye!

arcel said...

i like your post sir, very detail and your photography are great. more power to sir.

Gail Dickinson Schmidt said...

You SHOULD keep writing every chance you can. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your experience in India and it showed how the culture difference can affect people.

Bharatheeyam said...

I liked your blog and writing style. Your pics also very good.I shall visit your site again