8.30.2007

the deluge cometh

i awoke this morning, looked out my window and thought i was on the s.s. ark. my knee told me last night that it would be coming, but i was not expecting so much.

i live on the tibetan plateau, behind the himalayas for you geographically challenged; we're not supposed to get very much rain here. the surrounding mountains are evidence--brown nearly all the time. so when there is a foot of standing water in the streets its a big deal. big enough to require men in business suits to walk up to the edge, measure the distance, retreat for a running start, and then leap--always landing smack in the middle. must be nice to walk the rest of the way to work in one wet dress shoe.

on a positive note, if the above could be taken as negative--probably not since i chuckled to myself seeing the described--i was less of spectacle with umbrella in hand. we all looked roughly the same, depending on our choice from the color wheel. but alas, my beard always gives me away. from beneath a picachu umbrella a girl calls out hello, how are you? but they never let me answer, turning before i can find the face for the voice. don't they know it's polite to wait for a response?

so, it's now come to be evening and the rain is still falling, albeit at a lighter rate. this day gives me three of my favorite things on earth, waking up to the sound of rain and laying in bed for while longer, reading a book with a cup of coffee while it rains outside (i finished the hobbit today, by the way--just for you little bro), and slipping into a cold bed to fall asleep to the sound of rain. i guess i like the rain. though today it cancelled almost all my plans, except phone calls.

2 comments:

jc said...

sounds just like dallas.

Matt Fisher said...

ha, The Hobbit huh? Only 12 years after I told you it was good!

hope you enjoyed it