9.27.2007

dance the night away

so, i guess i must apologize for failing to fulfill my promise to post a new update everyday. as many of you know i have been ill the last 3 days. it seems i have giardia for the third time.

anyway, on to better things. the night of sept. 19th will stand as one of the highlights of all my travels, along with diving pulah weh in sumatra, hiking the west coast trail on vancouver island, and the people and beauty of all tibetan areas.

there was such an energy in that little house. i was joined by more than 20 tajiks to eat and dance. the food was more or less unextrodinary, but after eating the dancing began. before i started dancing with the men the mood in the house remained indifferent. but after, my goodness, after was a different story. up i jumped to dance, with an incredible amount of expectation that i would look ridiculous. i first danced with one of the brothers, who all looked like adrian brodie. around and around we danced in circles. i must have looked like a a fool to the onlookers, but i must have been an endearing fool, as the crowd cheered and clapped. later i danced with another brother, but this time i began to understand the dance moves. i began to anticipate his moves and keep up with them. hoots and hollers began to drift into my ears. as my focus moved from intense concentration on copying the dance moves to the experience and people i was among, i was overcome with pleasure. my like for dancing had paid off with admirable tajik dancing abilities, though it was much harder and more intricate than it first appeared.

as i sat down to catch my breath the patriarch of the family came and sat down next to me. an 80 year-old grandfather, with the most prominent of his family's nose, who was loved by all his grandchildren. he sat beside me and leaned over, putting his hand upon my thigh and resting his weight upon my shoulder. i was in awe of this. here is a man of stature and maturity, who i'd only just met, and elder of regard, and he bestowed upon me honor and respect through this action. all boundaries of culture, stature, age and belief were torn asunder by this mans gentle display. it honored and humbled me greatly. after that i decided that i absolutely must have my picture taken with him and dance with him. i did both. dancing with him was more difficult than with his sons because he danced differently. but what an honor it was. after half or so of the song he turned to me with folded arms and bowed. each of the brother had done the same, but what a blessing to dance and bow to the patriarch of the family.

other than a few more pictures this was the end of the night. what a night! one to remember and cherish forever. a gift from above. you cannot make these things happen. we went from being strangers, even more than strangers we were a part of a business transaction, buying and selling a cultural experience. but by the end of the night we had hurdled many boundaries to become friends. i will never see those men again, but i will always remember them. even more so, i will always remember their actions and how they drew me into their inner circle with gentle and honest touches and glances.

1 comment:

Kay said...

What a beautiful picture you painted for my imagination. I have seen you dance, Ryan, and so I imagined that time you danced to Van Morrison at the trailer. Remember? What an interesting life you live!